After years of cleaning all kinds of carpets, taking continuing education courses, reading trade journals and conversing with other carpet cleaners from around the country, we have come to understand which carpets wear the best, clean up the best and look the best after years of use. On many occasions, we have watched our customers make purchase decisions based solely on appearance or price instead of product knowledge. Unfortunately, we've also seen the dissatisfaction and disappointment that those uninformed choices have caused. That is why MCE got into the "carpet sales & installation business" -- purely as an extension of our commitment to our clients.
NOW THAT YOU HAVE A GOOD IDEA OF WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH WITH YOUR NEW CARPET, HERE'S SOME TECHNICAL INFORMATION FOR YOU.
- Which fabric / fiber is best?
(Here's a hint: nylon NylonNYLON!)
- Fiber Lengths (pile), Density, Style
- More to think about
WHAT SHOULD I KNOW ABOUT PADDING, FOUNDATIONS OR CUSHIONS?
- General Information
* Urethane Foam
- Carpet Installation
* Separate Pad
* Pad attached to carpet
* Carpet Glued to floor
WHEN IT COMES TO QUALITY, WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO LOOK FOR?
- Wear Factor Ratings?
- Insulating Capabilities?
- Stain Treatments?
NOW THAT YOU KNOW MORE THAN YOU EVER WANTED TO ABOUT CARPET CONSTRUCTION, WHAT QUESTIONS SHOULD YOU ASK YOUR CARPET SALESPERSON?
- Borrowing samples?
- Measuring for carpet?
- Who installs carpet?
- Where Will The Seams Fall?
- Carpet Warranties?
WHAT PREPARATIONS DO I NEED TO MAKE BEFORE MY CARPET AND THE INSTALLER ARRIVE ?
NEW CARPET & HEALTH ISSUES / CARPET MYTHS
NOW THAT MY NEW CARPET HAS BEEN INSTALLED, WHAT IS EXPECTED OF ME ?
- Preventative Maintenance
- Vacuuming / Vacuums
- Regular Cleaning
WHERE CAN I GO TO GET ADDITIONAL, UNBIASED INFORMATION ABOUT CARPET (see orange box below)?
Below is the outline of a 50+ page document that contains just about anything and everything you will need to know before purchasing new carpet -- whether for your home or business. Even though this outline is a bit sketchy, it still contains helpful information and questions that will put you on the right track before going shopping.
BEFORE SETTING YOUR HEART ON A SPECIFIC CARPET, HERE ARE A FEW QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD ASK YOURSELF:
- Where will I be using this carpet?
* Location, Location, Location
* Which Room?
* No Kitchen / No Bath
- What is the specific “setting” of my home?
* City / Rural ? * Elderly?
* Shoes / No Shoes?* Room Consideration
* Heat Sources? (size, color, wall coverings,
* Pets? window treatments, etc.)
- What type of flooring will be under the carpet?
* hard surfaces?
* in-floor heating?
- Am I preparing the house for sale ~or~ do I plan to live here for several more years (i.e. who am I doing this for)?
- What kind of "look" am I going for?
- What is my budget for this project (both material & labor)?
NOW THIS WILL REALLYCOLORYOURTHINKING !
- What is your favorite color?
- How knowledgeable are you about the most recent color trends?
- Do you know how colors can affect emotions?
- Chart: 4 Different Color Families
So You're Going To Buy New Carpet ...
ADDITIONAL ON-LINE RESOURCES
JUST IN CASE YOU WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT BUYING CARPET